Friday, April 4, 2008

Update on My Crazy Life

So, I know I haven't updated at all. This is because I've been so busy with being a new mom. I got my new laptop from work three days ago and so I now have more freedom to use the Internet (and I don't have to worry about whether my husband is on the computer and what not. So nice!). Anyway, Alex is doing great. He's up to 8 lbs now. Unfortunately, for the last few weeks I had to pump my breast milk and feed him with a bottle because he wasn't pulling enough milk from me. Because of that, my milk supply went down slightly (only producing 1.5 oz per meal total instead of the 2.5 oz that he needed). So I had to supplement a little with formula while the pumping (and taking an herb, Fenugreek, which increases milk) helped to increase my supply so I could feed him with breast milk exclusively. Luckily, it only took about a week. In fact, last week, I was producing around 4–5 oz per pumping, which was enough that I didn't have to pump for nightly feedings—I could just feed him what was left over during the day.

This week, though, we moved back to breastfeeding. We're going to see if he does better at pulling enough milk. I think he will since he's stronger and now complains when he doesn't get enough to eat, where before he wouldn't complain about it.

He's also been a really good baby overall. He sleeps most of the time when he's not hungry, wet, or gassy. Right now he's enjoying his swing. I think we got lucky. He does get fussy, but I think it's much less than many babies, and he really doesn't cry much (just when he's hungry and we don't get him quick enough). My only real complaint is for the most part he doesn't like to sleep on his own, so most nights he's in bed with me. This is great for when I need to feed him in the night, but I definitely don't want it to become habit. I want him in his own bed by the time he's old enough to have a sleep routine (around 3–4 months old).

So yeah, my life has been all about Alex. This has been fine while I'm on maternity leave, but that will be over in the next few weeks (depending on how much vacation time I decide to take). It will be weird to go back to work, but at least I'll be at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment